No Need to Book: Pay and Play

9 Holes

Pay and Play

2,332 yards Par 34

 

2 Putting Greens

 

Pitch and Putt


Open: April to October

 

Lochranza Golf Course

 

Red Deer at Lochranza Castle


 

From 12 holes to 9 to 18 then 9 again: Lochranza Golf Course Layouts 1898-2019

 

Lochranza Golf Course extends over gently undulating ground between the head of the loch and the head of the glen.

 

The first recorded golf course at Lochranza was opened on the 6th June 1899 on land owned by The Arran Estate. Between 1903 and 1914 there were 11 golf courses on Arran.

 

The original golf course at Lochranza had 12 holes. The course layout at that time did not include the gently sloping grassland at the head of the loch but it did stretch up the steep hillside towards Narachan.

 

During the Second World War the golf course was used for commando training. After the war, a new 9 hole layout was created which included the areas in front of The Stags Pavilion Restaurant and Butt Lodge.

 

In 1988 Mr Iain Robertson designed and constructed an 18 hole layout which included double tees and greens, a pond on the 7th hole and long doglegs. The 18 hole layout at par 70 represented the longest course on the island and was designed to maximise the magnificent scenic views. At this time the sea field became part of the course.

 

In the 21st century due to changing golf preferences, the course was returned to a 9 hole layout in 2011 but still retains the design of the 18 hole course.

 

A 9 hole pitch-and-putt course and two putting greens are available to non-golfers.